[Mapserver-users] best way to color ramp topo/bathy data that'sin PostGIS

Charlton Purvis cpurvis at asg.sc.edu
Mon Jun 2 15:11:25 EDT 2003

Thanks for the help, Jan.  And I look forward to your presentation this
weekend.

I decided to go ahead and churn out a Perl script to generate the 256
classes for my .map file.  I provide it the starting color and the
ending color, and based on the max and min values of my layer, it
creates the expressions, etc.  (If anyone is interested, I'll eventually
post it.)

Yes, it does create a big .map file, but everything is modular and
automated.  And I seem to remember other folks w/ other automated .map
file generations.  So no matter what I do, large .map files may be hard
to avoid!

Anyway, let's say that I'm happy w/ plenty of expressions.  My question
is, am I compromising speed?  Having GRASS work w/ my rasters might
eventually be the way to go (as you suggest), but right now it sure is
convenient and clean to have everything in only one place, my PostGIS
db.

So am I losing any speed by choosing to let MapServer use expressions to
figure out what color to display rather than letting GRASS munch and
crunch it?  So far I am very happy w/ the MS performance (in general and
as it relates to this issue).  Of course, my dataset is very localized
and small at this point.

Thanks again.

Charlton