[Mapserver-users] Scale meaning

strk strk at keybit.net
Mon Jun 9 10:42:51 EDT 2003

Hello, I'm trying to get the meaning of the SCALE value
as returned by [scale] in map templates (mapObj->scale).

How can you express it in human language ?

For example: 37554.078269 <- what is it exactly ?

If I write in a mapfile that a Layer is not worth drawing
with a mapscale bigger then 37554.078269 what am I referring to ?

So long I can only use empirical [scale] checks to set MAX/MIN SCALES
in mapfile, but I'd like to be more "formal" in writing mapfiles.

TIA
--strk;