[Mapserver-users] Size of images in ImageCatalog

Jeff Berry jeffb at erlandsen.com
Wed Jun 11 15:42:42 EDT 2003

I have DRGs for the State of Washington and I'm struggling with how to tile
them for display in MapServer.  I've projected and clipped the collars off,
and am wondering wether I should just keep them at 7.5' quadrangles or clip
them smaller to say 1.5' blocks.  So, I guess my question is...are smaller
images necessarily better when in an image catalog for MapServer?  Is it
faster for MapServer to look at say up to 8 smaller images that are around
2-3 Mb each, or is it faster to look at 2-4 larger images that are around
7-8 Mb each in to generate the final map?  Maybe there is no significant
difference.  Hope that makes sense.

Jeff Berry
GIS Analyst
Erlandsen & Associates