[Mapserver-users] Size of images in ImageCatalog

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Wed Jun 11 16:44:55 EDT 2003

Jeff -

Just leave them as independent quadrangles.  You should pay some attention to the organization and compression of your TIFF imagery, so that it's easy for MapServer to "look" at the portion of each image that's required.  And if you're displaying the DRGs at "zoomed out" scales (small-scale display) you might want to considering building image pyramids with GDAL to speed access.

But as far as your specific question goes, I've got almost 60,000 DRGs indexed as individual quads (no chopping up) and that's never been a performance concern.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.