[Mapserver-users] Preferred Linux distro? (ease of upkeep)

Lowell Filak lfilak at medinaco.org
Tue Jun 17 15:22:08 EDT 2003

We only have a limited amount of experience with upgrading a machine
running an MS app., but did not run into a problem because the RPM
upgrade, for example, gd-1.8.3-7 did not require the removal of
gd-devel-1.3-6 so MS ran along happily, this is not necessarily the norm.
Since then we have moved MS to it's own machine and ProxyPass map
requests to it so it can live in it's own environment.
Unless MS becomes an app. on the standard RH, Suse, Debian, update list
I don't foresee an automatic way to upgrade the system because of the
dependencies.
Maybe someone could come up with a killer MS app. that allows anyone
with a linux distribution installed to reorganize their office funiture
visually via MS and then it would become a standard package in each
distribution which would then require any automatic updates to take it
into account.
Lowell

The following message was sent by Erich Schroeder
<erich at museum.state.il.us> on Tue, 17 Jun 2003 12:15:50 -0500 (CDT).