[Mapserver-users] Deleting old GIF image files

Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au
Tue Jun 24 04:20:09 EDT 2003

My example is a non-Mapserver app and calls a shell script from
inside the app's home page, but it's not hard to do something similar
entirely in PHP for Mapserver. Say insert something like this in a page
visited reasonably frequently by users:

	<?php
	foreach (glob("./path/to/tmp/mapserv/*.gif") as $filename) {
		if( (time() - filectime($filename)) > 3600 ) {	// if it's more than an hour old
			unlink($filename);				// delete it
		}
	}
	?>

Of course you can use all sorts of criteria besides date, you could
always use OS calls from the page to run a script something like:

	$num =`ls -t /tmp/*.gif | wc -l`
	$num = $num - 10
	$success=`ls -t /tmp/*.gif | head -$num | xargs rm`

But that's just getting ugly for no good reason (and won't work on Windows anyway).

BTW, I have just typed these into my email and not tried them out.
I strongly recommend testing them before deleting your vital system files.

Cheers,

Antti