[Mapserver-users] Using Mapscript with PHP as a module or compiled into Apache (static)

Benjamin Wragg bwragg at tpg.com.au
Thu Jun 26 07:29:10 EDT 2003

Hi list,

I tried to download and install the Zend Performance Suite the other day
for evalution. We hope to use it with a Mapscript site we're building.
As I went through the install script it checked the php and apache
versions and at this point it told me it supports the following PHP
configurations:

PHP Module libphp4.so
PHP compiled into Apache (static)

Since I've always run Mapscript through a CGI setup of PHP I started to
do a bit of reasearch as to how this effects Mapscript. This is what I
found:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?PHPMapScriptCGI &
http://www2.dmsolutions.ca/webtools/php_mapscript/php_mapscript_faq.html
#2.3, Mapscript can be used with PHP built as either a PHP Module or PHP
compiled into Apache.

The only thing that has to be done on the Mapscript side of things is to
use --with-apxs option at compile time.

Is this correct?

Is there any other things that need to be done at either the compile of
PHP, Apache or Mapscript to get Mapscript to work in this manner?

Is there any consequenses of using Mapscript with PHP configured as a
module or compiled into Apache? E.g something funny like projections not
working?

Is the "thread-safety problems" spoken of in
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?PHPMapScriptCGI still
around?

Thanks,

Benjamin Wragg