[Mapserver-users] JavaScript vs MapScript for interfacedevelopment...

Lars V. Nielsen LVN at hvm.dk
Fri Jun 27 09:38:01 EDT 2003

> Bottom line is: there are _a lot_ of good reasons to have javascript
turned off entirely. ...

I disagree.
JavaScript may be a pain to handle because of the DOM incompatability
issues, but naming it to be a security risk to be turned off ??

Almost all the security holes in Internet Explorer are related to either
VBScript or ActiveX (or its interplay with IIS), and they're both inherently
desktop entities as opposed to JavaScript that's born and bred for "sandbox
scripting". So in this stuation, I would be much more worried about using
Flash or SVG , since both require an ActiveX plugin to work.

Only plain HTML poses absolutely no security risk (I think), but that's
kinda too spartan for building a nice-looking user interface, imho.

I would be very happy if you could see your way to list just a few of the
latest serious security hazards concerning JavaScript you're referring to.
You might even be able to change my opinion on JavaScript and security :-)

Best regards / Med venlig hilsen
Lars V. Nielsen
Hvenegaard & Meklenborg
Rugaardsvej 55, DK-5000 Odense C