[Mapserver-users] Mapscript: using URLs etc...

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Fri Jun 27 14:58:10 EDT 2003

Anything you can do with MapServer you can do with MapScript. With
MapScript you *have* to write the code, basically your own custom
version of the MapServer CGI application. You can build some pretty nice
stuff with just the CGI so I'd make sure you really need to go the
MapScript route...

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> AMC Story <s9646183 at sms.ed.ac.uk> 06/27/03 10:29AM >>>
Hi everyone,

Thanks to all those who've given me the benefit of their experience re.

mapscript vs javascript.  I've certainly got some things to think
about!

I'm still trying to get my head around how a mapscript application
runs, so
firstly, are there any more examples of perl mapscript applications?
The main
mapserver site has pretty good documentation for php mapscript, but as
I don't
know php, it's not as easy as it might be for me to translate the
examples into
perl.

Also, more specific to my application, I wanted to ask if creating a
MapServer
application using MapScript will still allow me to utilise an opening
html
page, on which are hyperlinks to various geographical features (as well
as a
link to a map which shows all of these features on a world map).  At
the
moment, the individual hyperlinks are generated dynamically according
to the
current data, and have been set up so that the full url provides the
detail of
the extent of the map to show each relevant feature and so on.  If I'm
not
using a template file, but instead using a script making MapScript
calls, is
this approach still going to work?

Any thoughts, or further explanations/examples of how to write an
application
using perl MapScript would be great.

Many thanks in advance,
Ali