[Mapserver-users] JavaScript vs MapScript for interfacedevelopment...

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Fri Jun 27 16:22:34 EDT 2003

"Before starting to develop an application that relies on JavaScript to
run, please search the archives of your local CERT and mailing lists
like Bugtraq and Full Disclosure for the keywords 'javascript' and/or
'active scripting'. Happy reading."

Did you try this yourself?  "JavaScript" and "active scripting" are two entirely different technologies.  Unfortunately, part of the problem is that most users get their information from us techies who don't always do a good job of differentiating things, so users end up being told to be afraid of everything.

I went to www.cert.org and searched all advisories for "javascript".  There were 8 hits.  By contrast, searching on "active scripting" returns 86 hits.

Excluding the summaries and passing references to JavaScript, there were actually 3 CERT advisories related to JavaScript - CA-1996-05, CA-1996-07, and CA-1997-20.  There hasn't been a CERT advisory on a JavaScript vulnerability in six years.  If you're using a browser newer than Netscape 2.02, it appears none of this advisories applies <g>.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.