[Mapserver-users] TrueType font support - Win95

Gregory S. Williamson gsw at globexplorer.com
Sun Jun 29 20:20:02 EDT 2003

Dear peoples,

I have a version of mapserver (ms366-gif_gdal_pg_wms) which works fine until I try to use true type fonts. I have downloaded the freetype package and it is installed.

May mapfile has such fascinating lines as:
FONTSET "D:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\ssf\fonts\fonts.list" (a valid path)

   LABEL
      TYPE TRUETYPE
      FONT arial-bold

When I run, for instance, "ftstring.exe" (which is in the cgi-bin directory under the Apache2 directory), it pops up a window with the text correctly formatted, so it seems like Truetype is working. The DLLs that it came with are in the Windows\system directory, but when I try mapserver I get:

loadlabel(): Unknown identifier. Keyword FONT is not valid without TrueType font support.

At a dos prompt when I type mapserv -v I get:
D:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\cgi-bin> mapserv -v
MapServer version 3.6.6 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

I've got another test machine working with true type but it's about 30 miles away and so it is hard to study ... if anyone has any ideas (path settings ? versions ? etc) I would be grateful for their advice.

Thanks,

Greg W.
gsw at globexplorer.com