[Mapserver-users] Off-the wall inquiry

Gregory S. Williamson gsw at globexplorer.com
Sun Jun 29 21:48:52 EDT 2003

I'm a neophyte at this mapserver thing, but I am guessing you would want to take care with the projection used ... I know that the Informix spatial blade has problems with things that cross datelines, for instance. We provoked some interesting errors in both ESI software and others with things at the north or south poles.

That said, it seems like an interesting idea ... pick a SRID (spatial reference system) which can take a wide range of values and not worry about warping them to a spheroid and then make sure your data points don't cross any of the boundaries of your reference system.

Greg Williamson
DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC
gsw at globexplorer.com