[Mapserver-users] Is cgi a good solution?

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Mon Jun 30 09:54:28 EDT 2003

CGI is a server technology, and Java applets and Flash viewers are client tools.  Both are separate from each other.  There are several folks using MapServer CGI with both Java applets and Flash viewers.

If you want to reproduce the effect you see you can always ask MapServer to return a map that's larger than you display (the way you hide the rest depends on the client tools you're using).  However, remember that this means EVERY map you make (a) takes longer to generate on the server and (b) takes longer to download on the client, because it's bigger.  Sometimes this is a good idea, but some times it is not.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.