[Mapserver-users] Help Request / datum shifts

Hankley, Chip Chip.Hankley at GASAI.Com
Thu Mar 6 12:44:23 EST 2003

Kieran...

*I* think what it means (as things currently sit) is that if you want PROJ4
to support datum shifts, you have to have some ability to build the datum
shift files into the LLA files. This requires a compiler of some type...
and, this is what my entry on the WIKI was meant to address.

To some extent, this is the curse of doing MapServer on Windows... you get
used to relying on pre-compiled binaries, and, then you reach a point where
there ISN'T a precompiled version of the component you need (I'm not
pointing fingers... I'm in that boat myself).

One option would be to put the windows compiled datum shift files on the
MapServer site along with the MapServer downloads. The problem with this is
that PROJ4 is a separate component from MapServer, and there might be some
reluctance to adding pre-compiled binaries for separate components to the
site... I think the general tendency has been to keep the MapServer site
focused on MapServer, and let other sites deal with support, etc. for other
components (PROJ4, GDAL, PostGIS, etc). I also don't know who maintains the
download section.

I don't know who maintains the PROJ4 info at remotesensing.org - that'd be
another place where you could put it.

Chip