[Mapserver-users] Mapserver/ArcIMS: server requirements

Justin Garre garre_gis at hotmail.com
Fri May 2 03:09:24 EDT 2003

I am trying to get an idea of how many servers/server space will be required
to run Mapserver with a specific number of hits per day.  For example, would
a single server be adequate for 200,00 user sessions per day?  How many
servers would be necessary for 1,000,000 users (site hits) per day?

Granted this questions depends on a variety of criteria such as the
capabilities of the hardware and how large the map files are, but if anybody
would be willing to share what kind of server setup you have and how much
usage you experience on a daily basis it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, would ArcIMS be more demanding than Mapserver in terms of server
consumption?  ie- I understand Mapserver has a more concise code so I am
curious to know if it would be less demanding on our server(s).

Thanks in advance,

Justin Garre
University of Washington
garre_gis at hotmail.com