[Mapserver-users] Size's line

Dean Gadoury gadoury at dmsolutions.ca
Fri May 2 10:36:21 EDT 2003

--------------030406040308000709080009

I have observed that this seems to be one of the most frequently asked
questions on the list, aside from compilation / installation issues. It
seems to trip up new users very frequently and I think its fair to say
that that is because setting a circle symbol for a line is, at first
glance, counterintuitive.

Has there ever been any consideration of the idea of making a circle
symbol default when setting the thickness property of lines? That would
make things more intuitive and more in line with the way other web
mapping, GIS, and graphics packages work. In fact, Mapserver is the only
application I've ever used in which you need to apply a symbol to a line
to adjust its thickness. I guess there is a dependency on the symbol
file, but could things be done in such a way that a circle symbol is
available in the actual core of Mapserver and is used by default? Users
could still override this if they choose to use a symbol, but if not
they get the circle symbol and only have to use size to define the
thickness of a line.

Dean Gadoury

Eric Bridger wrote:

>Yes.  Add the following to your map file:
>
>SYMBOL
>  Name 'circle'
>  Type ELLIPSE
>  Filled TRUE
>  Points
>    1 1
>  END
>END
>
>LAYER
>TYPE POLYGON
>CLASS
>  OUTLINECOLOR 255 0 0
>  SYMBOL 'circle'
>  # this size will determine the thickness of your line.
>  SIZE 3
>END
>

>At 01:59 PM 05/02/2003 +0200, Marco Ferrari wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>Is possible to define the line's size of the polygon, as
>>for example, "outlinecolor" defines the line's color?
>>Thanks.

___________________________

Dean Gadoury

DM Solutions Group
72 Chamberlain Ave. Third Floor
Ottawa, Ontario. K1S 1V9
613 565-5056 ext. 24

gadoury at dmsolutions.ca
www.dmsolutions.ca

--------------030406040308000709080009

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
[...]
size to define the thickness of a line.<br>
Dean Gadoury<br>
Eric Bridger wrote:<br>
 cite="mid4.3.2.7.2.20030502091053.00aa0620 at mail.gomoos.org">
  <pre wrap="">Yes.  Add the following to your map file:

SYMBOL
  Name 'circle'
  Type ELLIPSE
  Filled TRUE
  Points
    1 1
  END
END

LAYER
TYPE POLYGON
CLASS
  OUTLINECOLOR 255 0 0
  SYMBOL 'circle'
  # this size will determine the thickness of your line.
  SIZE 3
END

Is possible to define the line's size of the polygon, as
for example, "outlinecolor" defines the line's color?
Thanks.

  </pre>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="$mailwrapcol">--

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:gadoury at dmsolutions.ca">gadoury at dmsolutions.ca</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.dmsolutions.ca">www.dmsolutions.ca</a></pre>