AW: [Mapserver-users] Map file

Arnulf Christl CCGIS arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Fri May 16 08:12:59 EDT 2003

Hi,
(here come the OGC disciples again...) If you use WMS (OGC Web Map Service) you can load several "layers" and overlay them in a client. Each map "layer" then represents one WMS. One WMS Server can contain several layers itself. An interesting feature here is that you can load different vendor's WMS together and overlay them in the same client.

You can have a look at a demo on our server:
http://wms.ccgis.de/

Open the project "Germany", it is an UMN MapServer project hosted as WMS
Open the project "BRD Administrativ", it is a SICAD/SD-IMS hosted as WMS
Open the project "Overlay WMS" It contains both of the above projects together. You will see that the MapServer ist faster ;-) and will appear first in the client. A second or two later the other "layer" (or rather WMS Server) "BRD Administrativ" will be painted "on top" by the SICAD/SD-IMS WMS.

To overlay the projects you have to load two Capabilities documents into your client. They are returned by your MapServer when it is WMS enabled (http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc36/wms-server-howto.html) and you call an URL similar to this one here:
http://wms.ccgis.de/umn/bin/mapserv.exe?map=germany.map&request=capabilities&wmtver=1.0.0

Regards, Arnulf.