[Mapserver-users] Any One Plz?

m.spring at gmx.de m.spring at gmx.de
Fri May 23 07:33:37 EDT 2003

"Dwijadas  Dey" <dwija_dey at rediffmail.com> writes:

>   WEB
>      TEMPLATE  templ.html
>       IMAGEPATH  "C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\images\"
>       IMAGEURL  ".\images\"

AFAIK the path components in URLS have to be separated by /.
Try     IMAGEURL  "/images"
Fire a mapserver request in your browser and find out which image
has been created in your images directory.
Then point your browser to http://your.host.name/images/this_image_file_name
and you should see it. Afterwards adapt your template file if
necessary - for me it looks ok.

>     <input type="image" name="img" src= "[img]">
>   <!  <input type="image" name="img" src= "c:\Program Files\Apache
> Group\Apache2\htdocs\images\">

The commented version will only work on the same computer as it
accesses the file by means of the filesystem - don't use it

>            Please tell me from which portion of the map file these
> values([ ]) will come???? whether these values will be within the WEB
> .....END structure ?? I am totally confused. I have gone through the
> Mapserver CGI variables which you refers in the mail.
>     But probably i messing it up. So here mainly I am unable to use
> the CGI variables properly, and in what CGI variables, and where to
> write so that i can select a layer with zooming facilities and mainly
> to display the image in the browser.

Mapserver gets an url which denotes the map.

http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/this/is/my/mapfile

In this mapfile you tell mapserver which template to use for output.
Mapserver knows the name of the map from the url and in order not to forget it,
its value replaces [map] in the template file. The hidden variables
are sent automatically with the next request. The other values are
calculated and later on used for zooming etc.
If you look at the html source in your browser, these [] placeholders
have to be replaced by real values, otherwise mapserver did not work
correctly with your mapfile/template. It should tell this, however.

By the way:
     TEMPLATE  templ.html
in your mapfile means that the template has to be in the /cgi-bin
directory alongside with mapserv.exe. This is not recommended.
Better give a full path to the template file and place it for example
in the same directory as the mapfile.

HTH

Markus