[Mapserver-users] distanceToPoint in kilometres?

Sebastian Albrecht api at justapi.de
Mon Nov 3 09:40:49 EST 2003

Hi everybody,

I just tried to use the distanceToPoint method in my PHP Mapscript
application. It seems to calculate the mathematical distance of the
two given points (Pythagoras?).

Of course this is not very useful because I cannot convert it to a
metric distance so that a distance of 90,00 can be very short (at the
poles) or very long.

Is there a possibility to calculate the real distance considering
projection and ellipsoids? I think it might work with PROJ.4 somehow,
but the whole site seems to be offline at the moment.

Does anybody have a clue?

Best regards,
Sebastian