[Mapserver-users] Php Mapscript with 500 layers, 1000 classes ??

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Nov 3 18:04:24 EST 2003

Stephen Clark wrote:
> Would DM Solutions be willing to post a PHP Mapscript version with 500
> layers, 1000 classes?
> P.H.P version 4.3.2 Mapserver 4.0.0

There is currently a build that was prepared for (and paid for by)
another user on this list with the latest 4.0.1 source, PHP 4.3.3
(should work with all 4.3.x) and 500 layers, 500 classes and 500 symbols
at:
http://www.maptools.org/dl/mapserver-4.0.1-win32-php4.3.3-MAX=500.zip

<faq>
Since this custom build question seems to be becoming an FAQ, here is
our (DM Solutions') position on custom windows builds:

We do post generic windows builds with the default values and the most
common options enabled for every release for free, but we have to draw
the line somewhere and can't do custom builds for free since it costs us
money (employee time=money) to prepare them.  However if you are willing
to pay (to cover our costs) for a custom build we can do that for you
and then we'll be happy to post it on our site for others to download as
well.  For a build with the regular options enabled and just the numbers
of layers/classes/symbols changed it costs 150$CAD (plus the usual taxes
if you're in Canada).

I know there are also other users that prepare and distribute custom
builds and we encourage them to do so if they have the time... we don't
really base our business on custom builds, it's more a service to the users.

Finally, we've wanted to remove those static limits in MapServer for
quite a while, there is bug 302 about this.  Hopefully we can get to
this for version 4.1 and this whole thing won't be an issue any more.
</faq>

> If not could you post a description of how to compile php mapscript.  The
> Wiki and online docs are a little sketchy. Or perhaps someone could update
> the docs for php mapsript to version 4.0.0 and php 4.3.2.

We provide win32 builds for download because it's much easier for us and
for windows users this way than it would be to support people who aren't
familiar with a compiler environment through the process of compiling
MapServer and all its dependencies.

This being said, if you are familiar with compiling programs on Windows
then the stuff that's currently in the docs and the wiki and
README.WIN32 in the source should hopefully get you going.

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca