[Mapserver-users] mapscript vs mapserver

Sebastian Albrecht api at justapi.de
Thu Nov 6 10:12:19 EST 2003

Hi Espen,

> Quite new to this MapServer stuff and I have trouble understanding what
> Mapscript can do that the regular MapServer cannot. Could somebody explain
> or point me in the right direction?

I think you actually cannot compare Mapserver and Mapscript because
Mapscript is just a part of Mapserver which includes the Mapserver
functionality in other programming languages.

You can use either the mapserv-CGI-binary (which you seem to mean with
Mapserver) that parses different template html files and returns a
usable web interface or you can use the Mapscript libraries within
your favorite provided programming language like f.e. PHP. This is
very useful for displaying dynamic data in your web interface that you
could get from a SQL database and which you can write to a new
shapefile using the Mapscript functions.

Regards from Germany,
Sebastian