[Mapserver-users] Seeking Mapserver help for FreeStateProject

Seth Cohn sethcohn at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 13 20:21:02 EST 2003

Hi, I'm hoping someone on this list can help out...

I'm looking for advice/help/pointers/etc toward doing a database driven
map graphical web site to assist future Free State Project (FSP)
members in moving to New Hampshire.

from http://www.freestateproject.org
The Free State Project is a plan in which 20,000 or more
liberty-oriented people will move to New Hampshire, where they may work
within the political system to reduce the size and scope of government.
The success of the Free State Project would likely entail reductions in
burdensome taxation and regulation, reforms in state and local law, an
end to federal mandates, and a restoration of constitutional
federalism, demonstrating the benefits of liberty to the rest of the
nation and the world.

I'm working with a 'research' group to compile useful data to allow
people to choose places in NH toward making an informed decision as to
where to move.  This includes things like population and other
demographics like housing costs or distance from airports, etc...

It clearly looks like mapserver (and the variety of tools supporting
it) are the way to go, to allow someone to enter in a number of desired
parameters and see a graphical representation of places that fit that.
("Show me places within 30 miles of a population of 50,000 and with
zoning that allows home businesses but where avg property costs are
less than 40K a lot" and bingo: a map appears with areas highlighted in
yellow or red, perfect for someone to go check out more in detail or in
person.)

While I'm good with linux and apache/php/mysql, I'm totally new to
mapserver etc.

Is PostGIS a must?  Or is mysql fine?  Can I do it all in PHP or am I
going to need java too?
What tools are best for doing something like?  Does something like this
exist?
Anyone interested in helping make this site happen ASAP?  I'm sure
there are a few libertarian minded folks out there, there is your
chance to help...

Seth