[Mapserver-users] using one classification for multiple layers

Sean Gillies sgillies at frii.com
Tue Nov 18 10:22:48 EST 2003

On Tuesday, November 18, 2003, at 07:35  AM, bartvde at xs4all.nl wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> is it possible to define a classification once and then re-use it for
> more
> than one layer? I have 20 layers which all use the same classification,
> but now I am redefining all the CLASS objects all the time in every
> LAYER.
>
> I could not find anything about this in the Mapfile reference.
>
> Best regards,
> Bart

Bart,

In a manner similar to fonts and symbols?  No, this is not possible.

But it would be useful.  One way to implement this would be to extend
the
map file structure to allow nesting of layers, a concept that already
exists in WMS.  Define classes in a top-level layer (kinda like a group)
and the sub-layers inherit the classes.  However, this would involve
significant changes to MapServer.

cheers,
Sean

--