[Mapserver-users] Problems with rotating a tiff/tfw image

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Nov 20 09:53:13 EST 2003

Larry Hurst wrote:
> I have a tiff image with a tfw world (State Plane) file that displays
> fine in the map display (UTM).
> I am testing whether I can rotate the image in the map display using
> world file transformations.
> Once the world file changes have been made, the image no longer shows up
> in the map display.
> To test, I am using ArcView to rotate the image and create an updated
> world file.
> Does anybody have any ideas what may be causing the image display to fail?

Larry,

What you are trying should work.  I have successfully used images with
rotation via world file.  However, it is critical that the file be
processed via the GDAL code path in MapServer, not the basic MapServer
built-in TIFF support.  To be maximally sure configure mapserver
"--without-tiff".

I would add that for problem reports like this it is helpful to report the
mapserver version (via mapserv -v output).  You should use at least mapserv
4 to do the rotated thing.

Finally, if you have a working unrotated image, try just editing the .tfw
by hand and slighly altering the rotational coefficients a bit to see if
you get an effect through mapserver before moving over to the properly
rotated image.

Best regards,