[Mapserver-users] Problems with umlauts in labels

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Sep 3 10:30:36 EDT 2003

Toomas Aas wrote:

> OK, so I got it working now, but I'm sure it will bite me again next time I
> upgrade PHP. I would like to find a more permanent fix. If someone is using
> PHP/Mapscript 3.6.6 and PHP 4.3.x with bundled GD library, are you able to
> display umlauts in labels? Just trying to make sure if the problem is in my
> server or somewhere else.

The problem is not just that umlauts may not display, you may also
experience other types of odd behaviors or instability.  If you build
php_mapscript using the system GD and build PHP using the bundled GD,
then at runtime when you load php_mapscript.so inside PHP you end up
pulling two copies of slightly different versions of GD into the same
process, and this is very bad.

You really have to make sure that both MapScript and PHP are built using
the exact same version of GD.  Perhaps you could try compiling
Mapserver/mapscript using PHP's bundled GD library, we never tried it,
but that would be another way to ensure that both mapscript and PHP use
the same version of GD.

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca