[Mapserver-users] ArcView 8.2 for preparing mapserver maps

Till Adams adams at terrestris.de
Thu Sep 4 08:38:20 EDT 2003

Dear Markus,

I'm sorry, but I have "bad" news for you:

The mxd-format is binary and not readable like the old *.apr from AV3.x
was. The *.lyr is no more than a "small project", storitng the datapath
and some more like legend, etc.

If I may give you an advice: Of course Esri will hurry up people to
switch to 8.2 - because there's a lot moorem oney to make, at least with
the update-service you HAVE to pay every year, otherwise you don't get
any updates - and you have to pay them after, if you missed pay it for a
year or two and then want to update.

My experience in this case is, that most people remain using AV3.x -
some of our customers change one or two licences and keep the rest as it
is, because ArcGIS 8.x for most users is abssolutely overloadad with
functionality....

We can discuss more on this topic outside the list if you like, as I
guess it does not concern the main target from this list ;-)