[Mapserver-users] Newbie Complilation

Mark Rodrigo mark at markrodrigo.com
Tue Sep 9 11:37:23 EDT 2003

I was actually getting a generic server execution error. I had problems with
permissions before, so I finally just chmod 777 mapserv to open it up, and
still got the error. That was just doing a http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv
so, I checked my apache log and it said that it could not find libgd.so.2 I
went to configure again, but in following the Guide to RH 8 and Mapserver
3.7 accidentally executed a rm -f /usr/lib/libgd* trying to "clean" things
up when it should have been libgd.* Now, I am caught in Bash shell and need
to figure out how to get the libgdbm.so.2 it is looking for. Hahaha.
Learning Linux is not the cup of tea I was hoping for, but it will
happen....hmmm now how to mount that floppy from Bash.

Mark,

The line you quote is not an error message, just a standard make output
message. Looks fine.
What do you mean by Mapserv won't execute.  What exactly happens when
you type mapserv from the command line. Or mapserv -v?

Eric