[Mapserver-users] PostGIS/Mapserv problem with type MULTIPOLYGON.

Vinko Vrsalovic vinko at cprsig.cl
Tue Sep 9 12:46:48 EDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 08:36:48AM -0700, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> The error in your log means that mapserv is just plain crashing, not
> running for you. So you need to figure out why it is crashing first.
> Does it run normally for normal shape layers? For a simple point-based
> postgis layer? If you delete all the polygons in your layer except one,
> does it work? If you run the shp2img program (which is just a
> commandline mapserver) do things run? Have you stripped your mapfile
> down to just a simple one layer file with nothing special?
> Basically, you have to diagnose the crash and work back from there. It
> is possible you have a polygon in your layer which is capable of
> crashing mapserver. Or maybe there is something special wrong in your
> environment (an odd mix of library versions) which is causing the crash.

In my experience, as I said, mapserver crashes when the query doesn't
return needed columns, as, for instance, in:

LAYER
	CONNECTION ...
	CONNECTIONTYPE ...
	LABELITEM 'name'
	DATA 'the_geom from (select the_geom,oid from table where condition) as foo using unique oid using srid = -1'
	# it should be 'the_geom,oid,name from table'
	CLASS
	 STYLE
	 END
	 LABEL