[Mapserver-users] RE: Mapserver-users] raster

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Sep 10 18:23:18 EDT 2003

Not quite true. Native tiff supports geotiff too. The key is that
non-geotiff tiff images
require some sort of a world file regardless of the raster engine. GDAL
may support
other forms of providing that georeferencing information. Otherwise
neither
GDAL or MapServer can know how to place the image in the world.

Steve

>>> Paul Ramsey <pramsey at refractions.net> 09/10/03 04:47PM >>>
Hi Ann,
If you are using GDAL, no world file required.
If you are using the Mapserver native TIFF support, you will need a
world file.
Mapserver image support can be quite confusing because of the different

ways (GDAL, not-GDAL) available for doing the same thing (read a
TIFF).
Yours,
Paul

--