[Mapserver-users] errors while compiling gdal

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Sep 12 10:26:32 EDT 2003

Mukta Telang wrote:
> Hi,
> When I ran configure script from gdal source as follows:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/gdal --exec-prefix=/usr/local/gdal
> --with-libz=/usr/local --with-grass=/usr/local/libgrass5
> --with-png=/usr/local --with-libtiff=/usr/local/libtiff3.6
> --with-libgeotiff=/usr/local/libgeotiff -with-jpeg=/usr/local
> --with-hdf4 --with-pg=/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_config

Mukta,

There is no --with-libgeotiff option, use --with-geotiff= instead.

> I got following errors/messages:
> checking for GTIFGetDefn in -lgeotiff... no
> using internal GeoTIFF code.

This is to be expected since it didn't realize you wanted to point
it to a special libgeotiff.

> And when I ran "make all" (So as to compile OGR) I got lot of warnings
> and errors like:
>
> xtiff.c:29: parse error before `xtiffFieldInfo'
>
> xtiff.c:29: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of
> `xtiffFieldInfo'
> xtiff.c:32: warning: braces around scalar initializer
> xtiff.c:32: warning: (near initialization for `xtiffFieldInfo[0]')
> xtiff.c:32: warning: excess elements in scalar initializer
>

> xtiff.c: In function `_XTIFFLocalDefaultDirectory':
> xtiff.c:56: warning: implicit declaration of function
> `TIFFMergeFieldInfo'
> make[3]: *** [xtiff.o] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory
> `/user3/mukta/temp/gdal-1.1.9/frmts/gtiff/libgeotiff'
> make[2]: *** [lib-geotiff] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/user3/mukta/temp/gdal-1.1.9/frmts/gtiff'
> make[1]: *** [sub-libs] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/user3/mukta/temp/gdal-1.1.9/frmts'
> make: *** [frmts-target] Error 2

This suggests to me that it isn't really using your libtiff 3.6.  This
is what you would see using it with an older libtiff.

Review the order of include file directives in the CXX_OPTFLAGS macro
in GDALmake.opt.  Is it possible some other include file directory is
being inserted ahead of your libtiff directory?

> If I dont give --with-libtiff and with-libgeotiff options then the
> source gets compiled without errors, but the gdal-config file does not
> exist in the installed
> package.

I have no idea why gdal-config would not be installed unless there is
an error during the build or install.

Best regards,