[Mapserver-users] MUM Presentation / MapClient

Jan Hartmann jhart at frw.uva.nl
Tue Sep 16 04:18:22 EDT 2003

Hello list,

I finally managed to put the text of my MUM presentation about
"MapClient" at:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/mum/consess2/hartmann/main.html

It took so long because I wrote the complete documentation to go with
it: User's Guide, Reference Manual and thirty examples, covering all
aspects of the program.

So what is it? MapClient is a user interface for MapServer. It allows
you to build complete MapServer applications for Mozilla 1.3 and up,
Netscape 7.1 and up, and Internet Explorer 5.5 and up. It is about 2000
lines of W3C compliant JavaScript/DOM code, and should be very easy to
use, at least in its basic form. Just include "window.js" in your HTML
page and you are able to:

- access the complete functionality of MapServer, MapScript and PostGis
- create movable and resizable windows and put maps in them
- create movable buttons, menus and sliders to send requests to
   MapServer
- create draggable zoom and pan boxes
- create standard webpages (via serverFrames)
- use advanced features like job scheduling, multi-server access and
   multi-page applications

If you want to do more than just glance at it, please download and
extract the archive at:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/mum/consess2/hartmann/mapclient.zip

You can run everything locally from "main.html". If you have a running
MapServer installation, you can also run the examples. Just adapt
"examples.js" and "examples/examples.map" to point to your MapServer
CGI, as described in the User's Guide. When you run main.html from your
own server, you'll see tiny run-buttons all over the User's Guide next
to the examples, so you can not only look at the code, but also run it
(and experiment with it).

AFAICS the program is as good as finished in this basic form. It has so
many new features as a Web application that it will need much practical
experimenting to see in what direction things should be developed
further. I am working now on a large web atlas with dozens of very
detailed historical maps of Amsterdam. If some of you would care to
experiment with your own data, feedback would be appreciated very much.

Enjoy,

Jan