[Mapserver-users] Adding feature

Liz Godwin godwinl at agr.gc.ca
Wed Sep 17 09:25:50 EDT 2003

Jan,

If I read correctly in your post, you're using
&map_Map1_feature_new...

To get mapserver to add a feature via CGI, you must first define a
layer in the mapfile (say Map1) that contains all the symbology etc, but
without a data definition.

For example:
LAYER
  NAME "Map1"
  STATUS DEFAULT
  TYPE POINT
  CLASS
    SYMBOL "circle"
    SIZE 5
    color 255 0 0
  END
  PROJECTION
    #insert your projection info here
  END
END

CGI variables for the point would be:
&map_Map1_feature=new (equals sign not underscore)
&map_Map1_feature_points=110840+414533 (this point is in Map1's
projection if defined)

for more info there is documentation for this.  It's at the bottom of
the page:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc40/cgi-reference.html

Cheers,

Liz

>>> <jan.espenlaub at uuc.de> 09/17/03 05:17AM >>>
Dear Mapservers!

After searching the archives without much success I have to ask the
community for help: I am trying to add features to a Map. Regardless of

the method I am using
(CGI-Variable a la:
"http://server/scripts/version40/mapserv.exe?map=c:/inetpub/wwwroot/
workshop/workshop.map&mode=map&layer=Map1&map_Map1_Featur
e_new..."
or inline in the Mapfile:
LAYER
  NAME Map2
  TYPE point
  STATUS ON
  DATA "c:\inetpub\wwwroot\workshop\data\demo.shp"
  DEBUG ON
  FEATURE
  	POINTS 110840 414533 END
  END

  CLASSITEM 'id'
  CLASS
    NAME "Brunnen"
    EXPRESSION /./
    SYMBOL 'star'
    SIZE 10
    COLOR 255 125 1
    TEMPLATE "queries/point.htm"
  END)
All I get is the following
message :
"CGI Timeout
The specified CGI application exceeded the allowed time for
processing. The server has deleted the process."

The Webserver (IIS 5) logs a 502-Error (i.e Bad Gateway request)

Any Ideas?
I have tried the same thing on different servers (IIS 4) on our
network with the same "success". The mapfile without
FEATURE works fine. So do the CGI-Variables without
"feaure_new".

Thanks in advance

Jan Espenlaub

PS Is there any help to be expected from the different DEBUG-
Flags  in the Mapfile? The log looks just the same with or without
them.