[Mapserver-users] WMS layer alignment

Brian Johnson spiff88gis at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 17 10:37:16 EDT 2003

I have a map file that uses a couple of WMS servers to add some nice images
to my map.  Specifically, I added the Terraserver orthos - and a relatively
new server from the USGS - color orthos for many urban areas.

My map file, the Terraserver WMS layer, and the shapefiles I am using are in
NAD83 UTM zone 10N coordinate system.  The USGS WMS layer is in WGS 84. All
projections are set in the map file, and for each layer.  When I turn on the
Terraserver layer, the image is nicely displayed behind the shapefiles
perfectly.  When I turn on the USGS layer, the center of the image is
perfectly aligned - and the rest of the image appears to be squashed - with
apparently a larger Y-axis extent that the image should be.  If I change the
map projection to WGS 84, the the USGS layer now nicely aligns with the
shapefiles, and so does the Terraserver image - with no reprojection
problem.

Any suggestions as to where my problem might be?  I'd like to have the map
in UTM project for how it looks compared to WGS - but I can't figure out why
the WGS 84 layer is not reprojecting correctly.

Below are the sections from my .map file...

Thanks for any ideas!

Brian

#---Map file projection info---

PROJECTION
"init=epsg:26910"
END

#---Terraserver Layer---
LAYER
   NAME ortho
   METADATA
     "wms_title" "USGS Digital Ortho-Quadrangles"
     "wms_srs"   "EPSG:26910" #NAD83 UTM zone 10N
     LYRNAME "DOQs (orthophotos)"
     LINK
"http://terraserver.microsoft.com/about.aspx?n=AboutTerraServiceOverview"
   END
   GROUP "BASE DATA"
   STATUS OFF
   TYPE RASTER
   MINSCALE 10
   MAXSCALE 240000
   CONNECTIONTYPE WMS
   CONNECTION
"http://terraservice.net/ogcmap.ashx?VERSION=1.1.1&SERVICE=wms&LAYERS=DOQ&FORMAT=png&styles="
   PROJECTION
     "init=epsg:26910" #NAD83 UTM zone 10N
   END
END

#---USGS Portland, OR area layer---
LAYER
    NAME Urban133
    METADATA
      "wms_title" "Portland Ortho 2002"
      "wms_extent" "-123.12987 45.241726 -122.3584 45.75648"
      LYRNAME "Urban133"
      LINK "N/A"
    END
    OFFSITE 255 255 255