[Mapserver-users] Re: problem getting bounds of poly shape

Lowell Filak lfilak at medinaco.org
Mon Sep 22 09:09:56 EDT 2003

I have not tried it with 4 yet, however I actually had a bug in one of
the postings in the wiki which draws a circle and never closes back on
the starting point which could have left the shape open but it didn't.
I don't think that shapes are as rigid as "polygons" in say, coverages,
so making sure they are closed may not be as critical.
The same issue seems to have appeared in the PHP code also, see:
http://lists.gis.umn.edu/pipermail/mapserver-users/2003-February/001527.html
but I'm not sure there is an answer as the original bug is reportedly
fixed in PHP but being it has happened in Perl now this may be an issue
somewhere deeper in the MS code itself.
You should add this to bugzilla and then as a temporary fix write the
shape to a shapefile to retrieve the bounds.
Lowell

The following message was sent by "pkishor_98"
<pkishor at geoanalytics.com> on Sun, 21 Sep 2003 18:02:30 -0000.

> replying to my own question -- I might not be drawing a correctly
closed shape...
> hence no legit rectObj. Corollary question -- do I have to explicitly
close a shape to
> make a legit poly? Assuming the answer to that is a resounding "yes",
is there a way
> to test whether a shape is a legit poly other than attempting to get
its bounds and
> seeing if anything is returned?
>
> --- In mapserver-users at yahoogroups.com, "pkishor_98" <pkishor at g...> wrote:
> > I am drawing a shape on a poly layer like so...
> >
> > my $shpObj = new mapscript::shapeObj($mapscript::MS_SHAPE_POLYGON);
> > adding a few lines with points (of course) and drawing it. The shape
is drawing fine
> > and showing up on the graphic, but I can't get its bounds.
> >
> > The bounds show up as -1 -1 -1 -1 via $shpObj->{bounds}->{minx} etc.
I am at