MapScript Documentation (Re: [Mapserver-users] Re: problem getting bounds of poly shape)

pkishor_98 pkishor at geoanalytics.com
Wed Sep 24 12:43:21 EDT 2003

--- In mapserver-users at yahoogroups.com, Daniel Morissette <morissette at d...>
wrote:
> I think we should do more use of bugzilla to track those kind of issues
> once it's been established that something needs a fix (the getBounds()
> thing in this case).  The mailing list gets lots of traffic and chances
> are that the conclusions of those discussions will be lost of forgotten
> unless someone has time to act on the issues right away which is unlikely.
>
> By using bugzilla, we can later on track the reasons behind any change
> back to the initial problem reported by the user (Puneet would be the
> bug reporter in this case), and then we can read in each bug report the
> discussions that led to a decision to change the behavior or not.
>
> The use of bugzilla also makes it easier for developers and other
> contributors (documentation, etc) to query the database and view a list
> of current issues to work on *when* they have time.

Thanks Daniel.

I've added this in the bz as an enhancement request. Part of the problem is that us
non-developers still have to first figure out whether or not our problem lies with us
screwing up or with the code. We can only do that via the list. Of course, once it is
determined that indeed the problem is a "bug" then it can be added to the zilla.

For example, I am still having a problem with queryByShape, and I don't know if I am
doing something wrong or if this is a bug.

My problem is thus --

creating an shapeObj and then using it to queryByShape against a layer returns way
more results than should.

getting the bounds of the above shape and creating a rectObj and then using
queryByRect against the same layer returns the correct number of results (way less
than that returned by queryByShape).

now, I have to first determine if I am doing something obviously wrong or if this is a
bug. Then I can act accordingly.

Many thanks.