[Mapserver-users] open polygons makes mapserver crash

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Fri Sep 26 13:13:43 EDT 2003

This may be a symptom of a problem in the indexing. I just recently saw
the same issue with the Texas A&M Mesonet. Indexes that got out of sync
with their shapefiles caused a seg fault. In the tamu case, a point
shapefile was being refreshed every few minutes but the index was not
being regenerated. It may not be a problem with index itself but rather
an issue that the index format has changed slightly between 3.6 and 4.0.
I know there was some work done in shptree.c between the versions but
don't know what changed.

Steve

Eduardo Patto Kanegae wrote:
> # some moments after I post this message, I ran the 'shptree' against
my
> shapefile and the crashing stopped.

Well, this is just hiding the problem and it may come back.  It would
probably still be a good idea to submit a bug if you have a data file
that can produce a crash (make sure you include sample mapfile and data
in the bug).

> # but one strange thing is that in my application(which is CGI mode) I
have
> two maps: one is main Map[map]
> and the other is a reference map[ref], which is 1/3 of Main map
dimensions.
> The reference was drawing OK, but
> the main map(the bigger) was crashing.

That's because the reference map is not drawn by reading the shapefiles:

it's just a precanned gif or png image on which MapServer draws a box.

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca