[Mapserver-users] Mapserver 3D extension

Norman Vine nhv at cape.com
Tue Sep 30 14:30:20 EDT 2003

Tyler Mitchell writes:

> Indeed interesting.  Did you find that the web page you reference worked
> okay?  I couldn't get it to work but I'm wondering if it's my java setup,
> but not sure.

Hi Tyler

FWIW - in general I find bottom posting friendlier :-)

There have been many similar falure reports but
I have never had a problem after

1) Installing a web-enabled Java distribution
   I happen to use 1.4.1
2) then installing the Java 3D extensions

It seems as if the order of installation makes a difference

There is a slightly newer version @
http://www.vso.cape.com/~nhv/maps/3d/

The large 'details test' < not on on the older page >
demonstrates a canned view from my current 3D mapserver
testbed which can include arbritary vector overlays as returned
from a standard mapserver query

Note the base texture can be anything < satelite photo etc >
These examples use a dynamically created pseudo sun shaded
elevation map

Alas this project is on hold as funding didn't materialize

Cheers

Norman