[Mapserver-users] Highlighting items in map

huub fleuren huub at GEODAN.NL
Wed Aug 4 17:41:29 EDT 2004

Hi Jeremy,

  You could preprocess the entire operation by updating all the
  database records with a mark first and then make a simple
  IsEqual-filter on the mark.

  Mapserver supports 250 classes (or Rules). 250 classes is too much for any
  decent map. Of course you 'group' selected records by using lots of
  filters and only one symbol in a Rule.

  If you start to use the binary Filter operator <OR> for even only a few
  individual values, the XML becomes a laugh almost immediately.

    Maybe Mapserver users really should make an official RFC on the
    OGC Filter standard so, that the <And and <Or> elements may be
    multary, or whatever the correct name for that is.

  Still, the SLD becomes large and mapserver sooner times out than that
  is crashes it seems to me. Mapserver should be able to handle (a
  large) sld much quicker.

Regards,
Huub Fleuren

JW> Hi there,

JW> I posted to this list a while ago about a problem I was having using SLD to
JW> style some items in a layer and leave the rest as their default style.  The
JW> problem I was having was that the SLD was growing to be quite big and
JW> slowing down the mapserver response time.  I'm wondering if this is the best
JW> way to accomplish this.

JW> Does anyone have suggestions for other ways to accomplish selective
JW> highlighting of items within a layer.  I want all items in the layer to
JW> still be drawn onto the map, but the items that match the users search to be
JW> styled differently.  Tom Kralidis suggested using a FilterExpression with a
JW> SQL 'IN' clause, but I have come up empty searching the mapserver-users
JW> archives as well as Google.

JW> Any help would be _greatly_ appreciated.

JW> P.S.  The layer data is stored in a SQL Server database and is accessed
JW> using an OGR .ovf file.

JW> Jeremy Wiebe
JW> Application Developer
JW> Linnet - The Land Systems Company
JW> 1600-444 St. Mary Avenue,  Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, R3C 3T1
JW> Tel: 1-204-957-6452  Fax: 1-204-957-7568  email: jwiebe at linnet.ca
JW> http://www.linnet.ca

Huub Fleuren
Geodan IT Vestiging Zuid