advice on applicability

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Thu Aug 5 11:14:14 EDT 2004

James -

Try www.topozone.com - we are currently serving about 575,000 individual
color and black and white raster images with quite a few more coming
soon.  About half the images are less than 5 MB, while the rest are about
three-quarters ~50 MB files and one-quarter ~150 MB files.  The entire
data set is slightly under 20 Terabytes.

We do have a similar sort of overlap, in which one spot may be covered by
black and white or color images or both, and where there may be more than
one version (current/historical) of each image.

In a simple MapServer application the order of image display is controlled
by the ordering of the layers in the map file.  We serve all our imagery
through the OGC WMS interface, and that interface allows the order of
layers to be explicitly specified for each request.

     - Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.