Can't find libgd?

Hancock, Eric Eric.Hancock at DEP.STATE.FL.US
Fri Aug 6 11:20:40 EDT 2004

Hey all I'm having a problem with the configure script. Its unable to find
libgd even when I specify where its located:

./configure --with-gd=/usr/lib --without-tiff --with-freetype --with-proj
--with-ogr --with-gdal --with-wmsclient --with-sde=/home/eric/sdeexe83/
--with-sde-version=83

debian:~eric/mapservsrc/mapserver-4.2.2# ./configure --with-gd=/usr/lib
--without-tiff --with-freetype --with-proj --with-ogr --with-gdal
--with-wmsclient --with-sde=/home/eric/sdeexe83/ --with-sde-version=83
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for flex... flex
checking for yywrap in -lfl... yes
checking lex output file root... lex.yy
checking whether yytext is a pointer... yes
checking for bison... bison -y
checking if compiler supports -R... no
checking if compiler supports -Wl,-rpath,... yes
checking for exp in -lm... yes
checking for __gxx_personality_v0 in -lstdc++... no
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for strcasecmp... yes
checking for strncasecmp... yes
checking for strdup... yes
checking for strlcat... no
configure: checking where FreeType 2.x is installed......
checking for freetype-config... no
./configure: no: command not found
./configure: no: command not found
        using libfreetype from
checking for FT_Init_FreeType in -lfreetype... no
        freetype-config or libfreetype cannot be found, possibly needed for
GD
configure: checking where Zlib is installed......
checking for zlibVersion in -lz... no
        Zlib (libz) library cannot be found, possibly needed for GD
configure: checking where PNG is installed......
checking for png_init_io in -lpng... no
        PNG (libpng) library cannot be found, possibly needed for GD
configure: checking whether we should include JPEG support......
checking for jpeg_read_header in -ljpeg... no
        libjpeg not found. JPEG support not included, possibly needed for GD.
configure: checking where libXpm is installed......
checking for XpmFreeXpmImage in -lXpm... no
        XPM (libXpm) library cannot be found, possibly needed for GD
configure: checking where libiconv is installed......
checking for libiconv_open in -liconv... no
        libiconv library cannot be found, possibly needed for GD
configure: checking for GD 2.0.12 or higher......
checking for gdImageSetAntiAliased in -lgd... no
configure: error: "Could not find gd.h or libgd.a/libgd.so in /usr/lib.  Make
sure GD 2.0.12 or higher is compiled before calling configure."
debian:~eric/mapservsrc/mapserver-4.2.2# locate libgd.so
/usr/lib/libgd.so.1
/usr/lib/libgd.so.1.8.4
/usr/lib/libgd.so.2
/usr/lib/libgd.so.2.0.16