Feature Object and text

Sean Gillies sgillies at FRII.COM
Mon Aug 16 14:16:09 EDT 2004

On Aug 16, 2004, at 11:56 AM, Eric Bridger wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 13:44, Sean Gillies wrote:
>> On Aug 16, 2004, at 11:17 AM, Stefanie Weykam wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> I have an annotation layer, it contains a point (feature) and a
>>> string
>>> label this point.
>>> Actually, the string is the title of the map and I want to change it
>>> according to the currently displayed theme.
>>> Is there any feature object which can be set by MapScript? The Class
>>> Reference doesn't mention any. And, how do I change the color of the
>>> label?
>>> I always get error messages saying that the property (both color and
>>> text)
>>> don't exist or that the function setRGB() is undefined....???
>>> Which objects do have these properties - do I nedd colorObjects?
>>> styleObjects?? How do I create them?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Stefanie
>>>
>>>  LAYER
>>>      NAME       "subtit"
>>>      STATUS     ON
>>>      TRANSFORM  FALSE
>>>      TYPE       ANNOTATION
>>>      FEATURE
>>>         POINTS  635 10  END
>>>         TEXT    "Species Richness"      # "a species name"
>>>      END
>>>      CLASS
>>>         LABEL
>>>            TYPE      TRUETYPE
>>>            FONT      verdana            # verdana-italic
>>>            SIZE      12
>>>            POSITION  LL
>>>            COLOR     80 130 0           # 160 90 0
>>>         END
>>>      END
>>>  END
>>>

>> Stephanie,
>>
>> Support for inline features is currently limited.  You cannot
>> access a feature once it is in the feature "set".
>>
>> The thing to do is to leave out the FEATURE block in your map
>> file, and insert a new feature as needed:
>>
>>      p = mapscript.pointObj(635, 10)     # the point
>>      s = mapscript.shapeObj(layer.type)  # new shape to hold point
>>      l = mapscript.lineObj()             # point must be in a line
>>      l.add(p)                            # add point to line
>>      s.add(l)                            # add line to shape
>>
>>      s.text = 'Species Richness'         # label for point
>>      layer.addFeature(s)
>>
>>      layer.draw(map, image)
>>

> To continue Sean's excellent and concise (Python) example (in
> Perl/PHP):
> I've found that even though the FEATURE is at the layer level, it will
> use the LABLE COLOR from the first CLASS. So before your layer.draw()
> $class = $layer->getClass(0);
> $class->{label}->{color}->setRGB(255,0,0);
>
> Alternatively:
>
> $red = new mapscript::colorObj(255,0,0);
> $class->{label}->{color} = $red;
>
> Eric

Thanks for the follow up, Eric.  My example is no good without styles
and colors!

Related: shapeObj has a classindex attribute, and ideally we should be
able to set

     s.classindex = 0

to use the first (index=0) class to style a shape.  However, this hasn't
been working for me in my latest tests of MapServer 4.3.  Anybody else
seeing the same problem?

Sean

--
Sean Gillies