Benchmarks

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Mon Aug 16 14:53:10 EDT 2004

Ken -

I think the complexity is one issue.  I think the other issue is that
these are expensive products, and it's hard to see an independent lab
doing the tests unless the vendors donate their software.  And if ESRI
is unwilling to publish the results of the tests they control, I'd doubt
very much that they'd be willing to give free software so someone else
could publish tests they DON'T control!

        - Ed

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Ken Waters
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2004 2:33 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Benchmarks

All,

Last weekend I was at an ESRI seminar, in conjunction with their annual
conference.  Somehow this question came up.  The ESRI "unofficial"
answer was that they have such statistics but have elected to not share
them.  Fair enough.

I think it would be great for someone who is not associated with any
company or other interests to do an objective test of the different
solutions.
Maybe this hasn't happened due to the complexity that Ed refers to here.

Ken

Ed McNierney wrote:

> Rich -
>
> Are you aware of any benchmarks that compare ArcIMS to anything?
> Benchmarking Internet map servers is a extremely complicated subject,
> and I have not seen anyone make a serious attempt at doing it for ANY
> products.
>
>         - Ed
>
> Ed McNierney
> President and Chief Mapmaker