Benchmarks

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Wed Aug 18 10:07:17 EDT 2004

Jacob -

Things like the amount of RAM and the physical disk hardware can make a big difference in performance, so a different machine may not produce "slightly" different results.

I'm not saying that benchmarks aren't reproducible.  I'm saying that they are so dependent on the complete system hardware/software/data/application configuration that it's very hard to compare DIFFERENT systems.  Knowing that MapServer is faster or slower than Product X by 10% on a very specific configuration tells me very little about how it will perform on MY hardware and MY configuration, which is usually what users are interested in when using benchmark tests.

    - Ed
Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
Phone: +1 978 251-4242   Fax: +1 978 251-1396

________________________________

From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On Behalf Of Jacob Delfos
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 7:30 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Benchmarks

I think if you take 1 server with a generic setup, install both systems, load the same datasets (e.g. a roadnetwork only, or an image only), and load the webpage 20 times from a browser on that same server, or a sole machine connected to the server (crossover), you'd get a pretty good idea, isn't it? You'd be able to say the same dataset with the same extents took x times longer on system y. A different machine may produce slightly different results, depending on different bottlenecks, but I'd say it would be reasonably similar.