Benchmarks

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at CCGIS.DE
Wed Aug 18 10:35:04 EDT 2004

OK, 2 more cent from me:

Its not very helpful to know that one set of polygons will take x% more
or less on one software or another. Most everybody needs to put labels
on the geometry (some with conflict avoidance), classify it, create
strange queries in the DB or compute results in views (where most of the
performance bottleneck sits in the database). If you use cascading
architectures (either as overlay in a thin client or collection in a
WMS) and sort your data in an intelligent way, performance can grow
enormously. Think about parallelling four small machines for load
distribution (a lot more economical than one big xeon multiprocessor) -
you can't do that with a closed license system - therfore you wouldn't
be doing it in a benchmark test environment. Even the way that data is
fragmented on the hardware can make a difference.

And it goes on and on like that. I'm not saying that its impossible to
benchmark mapserver software, but what good are the results going to be
for our day to day use?

Besides, with a general performance measured in seconds for each request
we (GIS folks) are the underdogs when it comes to web performance
anyway. Everytime any map server gets /. it will just cease to exist
within minutes, no matter what software or how powerful a system it is
running on - at least thats what I have observed. Don't ever get your
server  too well known...

Last but not least - if any major software seller would have the heart
to make a performance benchmark against UMN MapServer, wouldn't you
think they'd have done so long ago?
:-)

Cheers, Arnulf.