Newbie Request -- Itasca Demo

Ken Waters Ken.Waters at NOAA.GOV
Mon Aug 23 00:30:42 EDT 2004

Hi,

I would like to set up a very, very simple mapserver application running
on my Windows XP server.  So, I decided to try to get the Itasca demo to
run.  I have not been successful so far.

Here's what I've done so far:

1) Downloaded the "ms4w" binaries from http://maptools.org/ms4w/ and
installed on a Windows XP machine.

Apache works just fine.  I migrated my existing webserver files over to
this new install and it's serving just fine.  In this case I'm running
Apache at F:\ms4w\Apache.  It appears the other test applications (e.g.
maplab, etc.) are working.

2) Downloaded the updated Itasca demo from
http://maps.dnr.state.mn.us/mapserver_demos/workshop.zip and placed the
full workshop tree of files in F:\ms4w\apps

Per the readme instructions, I attempted to change the values in the
included index.html to align with my Windows setup, including using
backslashes.

When I attempt to run the index.html file using Mozilla, the page seems
to load okay with the 'initialize' button available.  However, upon
clicking on the 'initialize' button I get an error with a warning dialog
indicating "f is not a registered protocol".   When running it with
IE6.0, again it loads okay but after clicking 'initialize' it warns me
about running files such as this and gives me the option to save the
file or open it.  If I select 'open' I get a DOS window briefly pop up
and close.  Not much else seems to happen.

I've attached my edited index.html file from the Itasca workshop files.

Am I following the best course of action?  Namely, trying to get the
Itasca demo to work under 'ms4w'?  Or, should I just try to set up the
simplest of demos and, if so, how?  I've scoured through all the
documentation I could find on the website but have really come up
empty.  Most of what I found assumed one already knew how to set up a
simple mapserver application.

Can you tell I'm really lost??? :-)

Thanks for any help!

Ken