Mapserver error logging

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Fri Aug 27 10:14:59 EDT 2004

Bart van den Eijnden wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I usually use the MS_ERRORFILE environment variable to have Mapserver
> output errors to the Apache error log.
>
> Using Mapserver 4.2 most of the error messages seem to be like (in the
> past months):
>
> msBuildPath: Unable to access file.
> msInsertHashTable: Hash table error. Invalid hash table or key
>
> So the log becomes very large while these errors don't seem to be fatal
> though.
>
> Did anybody experience the same? What are they caused by normally? Should
> they be reported in error mode or only in debug mode?

Bart,

Did you get feedback on this?  These certainly don't seem like they ought
to be going to the error file, though they might indicate something specific
about your configuration that is worth investigating.  For instance the
msInsertHashTable() message would seem to indicate that an invalid
msInsertHashTable call is being made.

The msBuildPath() report is likely due to a perfectly valid situation
and we should likely consider switching it to at most a debug message and
possibly not even that.

You are likely to need to provide a simple map that demonstrates some of
these problems in situations you feel is inappropriate and submit it as a
bug report.

Best regards,