getting extents for displaying individual states

Bob Cook bcook at OJCTECH.COM
Mon Aug 30 13:20:25 EDT 2004

I'm working with a map of the entire United States (including Alaska,
Hawaii, and other US territories).

I would like to allow users to select an individual state (or territory)
from a dropdown list and have the map center around that state, and zoom
in to it.

Is there any easy way of programmatically setting my map's extents
(without simply hard-coding extents for each state) so that it centers
on one state?

I'm using PHP/Mapscript.

Thanks!

--
* Bob Cook             Software Engineer - OJC Technologies  *