Terraserver question

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Tue Aug 31 14:43:06 EDT 2004

Andy -

You can connect to Microsoft TerraServer data using their WMS interface
- you can find examples and documentation on the TerraServer web site
under the "Web Services" tab.  Any MapServer layer can be defined to
come from a WMS server.

The chief disadvantages are that Microsoft's implementation is limited
to serving data in the "geographic" (non-)projection (EPSG code 4326),
and all aerial photos are served as 24-bit JPEG images, even though
they've all been converted to black and white.  The latter limitation
means that the size of the data downloaded is much larger than
necessary.

There are a number of folks on the list who have discussed using this
data (and who use it) - I can't recall who posted it, but in the very
recent archives someone posted a sample LAYER definition that would be
very helpful to get you started.

        - Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
Phone: +1 978 251-4242   Fax: +1 978 251-1396