POLYGON layers not transparent with imagetype JPEG

Sean Gillies sgillies at FRII.COM
Thu Dec 2 09:32:37 EST 2004

On Dec 2, 2004, at 6:22 AM, Toomas Aas wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Until recently, we were using Mapserver 3.6.6 to run our web
> applications.
> Now we installed a new web server with all new software, including
> Mapserver 4.2.5:
>
> MapServer version 4.2.5 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
> SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER INPUT=EPPL7
> INPUT=OGR
> INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE
>
> We noticed an interesting problem with our applications: when we use
> some
> layer of type POLYGON which is filled with some kind of SYMBOL, this
> layer
> is not transparent. Here's an example snippet of a .map file (I omitted
> most of the layers for brevity):

I just checked with MapServer 4.4 and 4.2.5 and cannot confirm this.  I
am
able to draw a symbol-filled polygon which transparently overlays the
background.  Add a TRANSPARENCY 50 to the 'POLYGON' layer in
mapserver/tests/test.map and execute

   ../shp2img -m test.map -o xtest.jpg -I JPEG

produces the proper image.

Sean

--
Sean Gillies