teacher points on California zips revisited

Ethan Alpert ealpert at DIGITALGLOBE.COM
Thu Dec 2 12:01:01 EST 2004

Those are meters not lat/lon and are probably in the California state
plane projection. You posted the .prj previously which clearly showed
that you data was in the state plane projection.

-e

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at lists.umn.edu] On
Behalf Of Joseph Norris
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 9:55 AM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at lists.umn.edu
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] teacher points on California zips
revisited

Hello,

Here we go again.  I finally did the following:

Created a shape file of all of my teacher points by their lat/long.
Dropped the California zip code map on to my laptop and then the new
teacher points file. I then used fGIS
(http://www.digitalgrove.net/fgis.htm)  and loaded the California zip
layer and then my new teacher point layer. I can zoom to the zip layer
but when I zoom to the point layer it is way far away from the zip
layer.  I did this as a sanity check because I did not think that I was
even producing the teacher point layer.  The questions are:

If I create a point shape file based upon lat/lon and I have the
California zip file - why will one not lie over the other - are they not
both based upon lat/long?

Can I open my teacher dbf file, and go search for the zip in the
California zip file and then rebuild the teacher point file with
coordinates from the California zip file thus allowing me to place my
points in the zip polygon that they belong to?

In my California shape file on a dump I get:

     ( 5983045.379, 3224996.563, 0, 0)
     ( 5989542.292, 3224832.974, 0, 0)
     ( 5989921.623, 3224823.475, 0, 0)
     ( 5989953.049, 3224815.898, 0, 0)
     ( 5990112.487, 3224777.458, 0, 0)
     ( 5991452.255, 3224753.633, 0, 0)
     ( 5993483.853, 3224717.643, 0, 0)
     ( 5993800.929, 3224702.331, 0, 0)
     ( 6011910.153, 3224087.577, 0, 0)
     ( 6017051.977, 3223915.448, 0, 0)
     ( 6026300.989, 3223711.249, 0, 0)
     ( 6026888.615, 3222812.493, 0, 0)

What do these values mean - are they lat/long values?

Thanks for all of the help that you have given me so far.

#Joseph Norris (Perl - what else is there?/Linux/CGI/Mysql) print @c=map
chr
$_+100,(6,17,15,16,-68,-3,10,11,16,4,1,14,-68,12,1,14,8,-68,4,-3,-1,7,1,
14,-
68,-26,11,15,1,12,4,-68,-22,11,14,14,5,15,-90);